Descriptive Reflection: Self-introduction Letter

 Dear Prof Brad Franklin Blackstone,


My name is Chin Leon and I am writing this email to introduce myself to you as a student from your class Critical Thinking and Communication group S7. I am currently a year 1 student in Singapore Institute of Technology, majoring in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering. My interest in engineering dates back to when I was in secondary school where I excelled in math and physics as I really love numbers. Whenever I see a machine like a plane or a car I am curious as to how it functions.

I, therefore, began researching math and calculation-based courses. I landed in Aeronautical Engineering at Singapore Polytechnic where I learnt the aerodynamics and how the plane is able to fly up in the sky. I was offered the opportunity to intern at an aerospace company and spoke to many of the engineers there, to learn about the different parts, and how they looked and functioned. All of this has greatly motivated me to pursue a career in engineering, as I want to broaden my knowledge of machines.

My strength in communication is that I am a good listener. I usually wait patiently and respectfully for the other person to finish speaking. However, after they finish speaking what's on their mind, I ask questions and make sure to fully understand their points of view first before offering my own.

My weakness is I tend to talk less and keep to myself especially if I am not knowledgeable about the subject at hand. With little understanding of the topic, I will not feel confident in expressing my opinions and would prefer listening.

What sets me apart from the others is that I have a history of working in many hotels as a waiter part-time and in other F & B ( Food and Beverages) lines for up to 6 years. In this line of work, I have to be an attentive listener and engaging communicator. It is necessary to welcome and interact with customers respectively while paying attention to their needs. It takes great communication and coordination among the waiters so that the workplace is able to function, provide good service and overall give the best experience for the customers. 

Although english is my main language, my overall goal for this module is to further improve it in terms of grammar. Other areas for improvement include formal letters and report writing. In the future, these skills will be essential in the workforce, especially in the engineering sector.

I believe that there is still a lot to learn in my communication and critical thinking skills therefore I look forward to your guidance.


Sincerely,

Leon

Comments

  1. The letter is well written with insightful contents with a well organized structure however the transition for the last paragraph seemed to be abrupt. For language wise, there seemed some grammatical mistakes in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply, have been edited accordingly.

      Delete
  2. 1. Although Leon has introduced himself as a student of Professor Blackstone's class and education history, he did not mention which batch and degree that he is currently studying in.
    2. The goals he have for the module is not specified.
    3. There are also some minor grammar errors throughout the letter.
    Overall, It is a well-constructed introductory letter about himself.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Dear Leon,

    Thank you for this clear and highly detailed letter. I appreciate that your content is well aligned with the assignment brief and how you have effectively organized your thoughts with fine illustrations. You've done a fine job providing supporting information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain an understanding of who you are. One example would be the reference to your interest in math and physics, and then how these relate to something like design functions, which is a noteworthy reason for getting into the engineering field.

    You also do a fine job of discussing your experience working, and how communication is an essential skill in the F&B industry. That explanation of such real work makes you unique.

    While your English is fluent, there are a few areas for you to take note of in this post:

    1. verb use
    -- I landed in Aeronautical Engineering at Singapore Polytechnic where I learn the aerodynamics and how the plane is able to fly up in the sky. > (incorrect tense) ?
    -- My strengths in communication is that I am a good listener. > (incorrect subject-verb agreement) ?

    2. overuse of caps

    3. sentence structure
    -- I believe that there is still a lot to learn in my communication and critical thinking skills, therefore I look forward to your guidance. > (comma splice) ?

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Professor Blackstone for taking your time to point out my mistakes, I have amended them accordingly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of Communication skills

Summary Reader Response (Revised)